Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A for Effort

Oh my giddy aunt. Potty training attempt #1 was a failure on par with old timey lobotomies or keeping pet baboons.

We felt prepared - we had treats and a potty and a tarp in the living room and a gate to keep the trainee within the potty zone. It started well, with Riley plopping herself down for a bit of reading up on the subject, but that's as much action as that potty got all day. The floor, on the other hand, saw plenty of action.

 


I'm not sure if Riley wasn't ready or if it was the fact I had sad, teething, Joe to care for too and couldn't give her the proper attention, or if Riley just balks at people trying to make her do something, even if the something is sitting on a potty that she has sat on many times before without prompting... but I feel like now that I've helplessly watched our toddler going on the floor while I am stuck on the couch breastfeeding, I really should be able to just deal with anything with complete zen-like repose. So that's good...


We'll give it another go when Riley starts showing interest again. Dave took her out last night to pick out a different potty, one that looks more like the real thing and has a flushing lever, but she has mostly ignored it. She might be slightly traumatized from my repeated attempts of whisking her over to the toilet mid-stream to get her to finish in the bowl.

I definitely was - later that night I laughed while we were watching the office and Dave said, "That's a sound I haven't heard today." Oops - sorry baby - I don't mean to be an droopy-faced, black hole of joy, but days like that I sometimes don't even notice. It's something to work on.

Next post I write it will extra happy, don't you worry. I can pretty much guarantee that because we are having a toddler Valentines Day party for some wardies, and those are always a good time! Oh, hey, and I can even end this one on a positive note - Dave got his first response from grad schools - an acceptance from Minnesota! They will be sending him scholarship info this week and want to fly him out in April to show him their program, which is awesome. Go Dave!

No comments:

Post a Comment