Sunday, September 28, 2014

Split Rock Lighthouse

Saturday we left early with a vague notion we would drive a couple hours to Duluth and hike around that beautiful town. On the way we googled "lighthouses" and that led us to our actual, dreamy, perfect destination: Split Rock Lighthouse in Two Harbors, MN, on Lake Superior. It ended up being a 3.5 hour drive up, but luckily we love road tripping together. The babies get all excited and squeal when we pass cows or lakes or go through tunnels - especially the tunnels. I filmed it.
We got there about noon. I have never in my life seen a lighthouse in person but have read of them and daydreamed enough to have decided they are of the most romantic places on earth. I mean, come on: the setting by the sea, the design of the building, the idea of tough of sailors relying on them for the safety of their boats and crews; it all draws you right in. And then the obvious metaphorical aspect. As regards to that, one of my favorite hymns has been playing in my mind all weekend. Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy. I'm just going to let the lyrics start us through the pictures.

Brightly beams our Father's mercy
From his lighthouse evermore,

But to us he gives the keeping

Of the lights along the shore.
 (chorus)
Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.

Dark the night of sin has settled;
Loud the angry billows roar.

Eager eyes are watching, longing,

For the lights along the shore.


Trim your feeble lamp, my brother;
Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed,

Trying now to make the harbor,

In the darkness may be lost.


I love that hymn. It is beautiful to think that we can help "save" each other with the light that we cast. We need each other! I've been offered hope and kindness from family, friends, even complete strangers in my life, and it really makes you want to be that for some one else.

So I played with some filters and font types and made this reminder to tape on my mirror.

Segue...to a less thoughtful note. Here am I "saving" someone right now! My own dear damsel in distress! :)
 We spent a good three hours touring the light house, hiking around, and playing in the chilly water. Riley especially wanted to splash around and asked for her bathing suit even! It was 60 degrees! The only people swimming in the water had wet suits and scuba tanks on.
 I happily used the excuse of cooler weather to buy a souvenir sweatshirt so it worked out.
 It was a beautiful day. Perfect, one for the books. Laughter was had, trip food was eaten. Babies were a little annoyed of the long drive but then we just turned on Frozen (we had the radio playing at the same time and there was some serious overlap; it will be a long time before I can watch Elsa's solo and not hear, "I'm a black widow ba-by," along with it). Towards the end of our drive when things got really desperate, a youtube video of puppies falling down the stairs did the final trick!
And at the end of a long day, I am grateful for 5 buck hot and ready pizzas and the church's General Women's Meeting - so, so uplifting and totally appropriate for my "light" themed day.

*Experience the cheering effects of fwuffy wittle puppies trying stairs here.
*A beautiful A Capella arrangement of that favorite hymn here.

And now I'm going to do myself and the people I love a favor and go the heck to sleep for 8 hours! Some people are so composed even sleep-deprived. I just ain't one of em.

No comments:

Post a Comment