Tuesday, June 3, 2014

See ya later St. Paul

I am so behind but so much has happened these past few weeks! The short version is, three weeks ago we packed away all our stuff and said goodbye to St. Paul and are currently on an epic roadtrip. We went to see Grandma and Grandpa Davidson in Iowa, stayed with friends and family in Fort Worth, TX, visited Grandma Anderson in Abilene, and have been with our Herralds here in UT this week, seeing as many of our dear ones here before we head down to Denver this weekend to start our big summer adventure. Or continue it, that is. My head has been full of plans and sentiments and my phone full of pictures so let's just start at the beginning and see how it goes.

Oh and Dave got me this beauty to blog on but technology makes me a little nervous so it is just going to sit next to me and the (semi) trusty old mac till he and I sit down and get it set up with my files and software and stuff.
 Let's start with a goodbye. Temporary, but bittersweet nonetheless. Goodbye St. Paul! Super cool city of rivers, lakes and bridges, culture, unlimited family adventures, Peanuts, and community love like none else. Seriously, of all the places I've lived, this one takes the prize for people investing in each other, in their community. Our neighbors babysat the kids so I could clean and pack before the move, and on the walk down the hill to pick them up, I took a few pictures to illustrate my point.

One of the thousands of mini libraries in the city.
Water bowl with sign, "For the dogs."
There seem to be an inordinate amount of bee-keepers here.




Also before we left we paid a final visit to the zoo. They were celebrating the 100th anniversary of their gigantic hand-carved, hand-painted carousel with unlimited free rides and we took full advantage. Initially, the babies were concerned by the speed and volume but after surviving one go, they couldn't get back in line quick enough! We took a break to picnic with friends and visit the polar bears,  then came back to ride again, until the no-nap melt-downs ensued and the brash carousel music started to seem more like the soundtrack to my life than festive background music. Totally worth it though. We had a great time, plus the little angels were unconscious till dinner. Win win!


Riley and Joe are still talking about Gabriel and Gracie. Riley actually changed the Christmas story book she likes to read once a week or so to include them all (since there was already a Gabriel and Joseph in the book). I think it is so darn cute they are old enough to have friends now. I made them a collage to put on their wall - it will no doubt be as popular as their pictures of family.


We were sorry to leave our framily and St Paul. Less sorry after we slept on the floor the night before (bed was in storage) and woke up to forty degree temperatures. Dave's time in Japan and his natural unruffleablility make him good at sleeping on the floor. I got nothing.


Finally at 10am the next morning we finished cleaning our vacant apartment, took our hulk of a TV to recycling, and hit the road. Next stop: Grandma and Grandpa Davidson's house in Iowa. 

And that seems like a good place to end this one.
I conclude this post in Denver, having moved into our new place two days ago. It is kind of an fantastic place but I am enjoying this catching up business so I'll save that for three or so posts down the road. I imagine it won't take me long now that we are settled and Dave is at work all day and...I have no friends. haha. Although our neighbors seem pretty friendly - chatted with a mom at the playground yesterday, and then on a walk later I got a salute from a hairy guy sitting in a tent in his yard. He was smoking pot. Welcome to Denver!


No comments:

Post a Comment