Thursday, June 26, 2014

Beating the Humdrums

Yesterday was sort of a humdrum, no plans, check the clock every five minutes kind of day. Don't get me wrong - I think it is good to have unscheduled days now and again, but I was too restless for that nonsense, so today I decided to take take hold of my destiny and do stuff.

First we went hiking. We are so lucky that the beautiful Red Rocks National Park is only ten minutes away! Such a scenic area, with trails maintained well-enough that a toddler can (mostly) handle it. There was only one dubious moment when Joe was jumping down from step to step and started flirting with some ladies coming up the steps and he kind of toppled into a rock pile face first. But he was fine - one of the women rescued him and I think he was enjoying the attention to much to notice the scrapes. 
 We spent an inordinate amount of time looking at ants and searching for "green flowers" - the unicorn of flowers, according to Riley. Toward the end of our hike she picked a weed and decided this was the green flower she had been looking for.
 The last half mile or so they both went limp and had to be carried the rest of the way. Luckily I was wearing a child-carrier backpack and am super strong (just kidding - my legs feel like jello now), so one was on my back and the other in my arms. A great day should include a workout so...check!

Afterward we took a picnic to the park and played in the splash pad. It was ninety degrees so the children relished those icy fountains! And I didn't mind getting splashed multiple times myself.

 A few hours of that and we were almost ready to go home and crash for naps. Only one thing remained...
Mmm, Jamba! When they handed us our drinks, Riley and Joe immediately started "clinking" their styrofoam cups. "To us!" Those kids sure have class!

Once home: naps, then Charlie Brown, then a walk to the store, dinner with Dad, baths, bedtime and I call that a great day! I have to say, it was pretty awesome doing whatever fun activity we felt like - being a stay-at-home mom rocked today. Yay for beating the humdrums! Riley felt a bit bad Dave couldn't be with us though. While we were at the splash pad she said to me, "Daddy's at work?" I said yes. "Daddy has a pool at work? Daddy has a pool at work!" Ha - no, he wishes. But it was a kind thought. Ah well, Dave, at least it's almost the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment