Thursday, August 30, 2012

Because Sometimes I Like To Write Random Stuff: the Moon

Last night I got into bed, early and exhausted, and was snuggled under the covers when I noticed there was light all over our room. I'd forgotten to draw the curtains and was pretty annoyed before I realized it was moonlight and then was so pleased, I slithered to the foot of our bed for a better view and fell asleep there (sorry, Dave). Today I've been contemplating what it is about the moon that pulls me in and makes me feel all calm and hopeful. I narrowed it down to a few things:
Google images: People playing with the moon
     First: it takes me back home. It was not a conscious routine while growing up, but now I realize that pretty much every night before I went to bed, I stopped at the front door to look at the moon shining on the mountains in front of our house. Man, that Virginia is a beautiful place. All year around, but for moon-gazing purposes, especially in the winter. I sure love me a frosty, shining moonscape! It's what I thought of when I was at BYU and getting out of late classes at the end of a semester. I would look up at the sky and think about how the moon was shining back home too, and I would see tiny lights blinking up there of planes and would start humming "I'm leaving on a jet plane." I feel certain I'm not the only sad little homesick college student who has done this.
    Second: Dave and I got engaged by a river, by moonlight. I remember when he pulled the ring out of his pocket to put on my finger, and the moonlight sparkled on the water and on my beautiful ring. It just wouldn't have been the same in broad daylight, which to me has less magic and romance. Maybe that is because I got engaged in the moonlight though...if he had proposed at noon in the parking lot of a taco bell, maybe that would suddenly be the most romantic setting...hmm.
    Third and finally, I think the moon is even more appealing because God designed it with the darkness right by its beautiful shining self. We appreciate it all the more and we don't focus on the dark, but the glorious light. Of course, we love stars too, and the sun, but the moon seems more intimate and personal to me. Perhaps because we've actually walked on it (mankind, that is. I just remembered that Neil Armstrong passed away this week. He sure was a cool guy - we should all go read HIS essay about the moon.) Anyway, the final point I was getting around to making was that God gave us the moon and a billion other things because he loves us and wants us to feel love and peace and hope. If only we paid more attention! I've been neglecting quiet moments like last night for a long time. I am challenging myself to stop and appreciate the divine more often. To pause and observe and think about the love He has for me. There isn't anyone that loves me or you more, and I think we all could do with a bit more love and closeness to Heavenly Father. I tell you, it's a heck of a lot more pleasant and worth-while than falling asleep writing a to-do list in your head!
Let tomorrow take care of itself and live in the moment that God gave you so it doesn't pass you by.
Preach, sister! Why, don't mind if I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment