Friday, June 15, 2012

A Little Shmaltz for You

Sharing a poem you wrote for someone yourself is kind of like saying, "I love you so much I don't mind appearing silly/foolish/schmaltzy for you in front of people." Like singing at your own wedding, or peeing your pants laughing at your husbands joke. Not that I've done either of those things...er, one of those things... Anyways, I dedicate this little ditty to Dave Munion and Mike McClure: the father of my baby(second stanza) and the father of me(third stanza), respectively. They are both 100% awesome dads.

A There-For-You Dad

If there is one thing that's universally cheered
Its a there-for-you dad, no matter clean shaven or with beard.
They are made in every shape, color and size,
And often are funny, kind, handsome and wize.

A young dad is great - he comes with mischief to share,
He'll let you put dirt in your mouth, he'll toss you high in the air.
He'll teach you sweet dance moves and rock you to sleep when you're sick,
Carry you across mountains, let you dress like a hick.
A young dad is odd though: he seems crazy-fun and carefree,
Yet he works long, hard hours to provide for and protect you and me.

As you get older, your dad tends to as well,
But that doesn't make him any less swell.
He makes the best popcorn and milkshakes in town,
His quirky humor always picks you up when you're down.
He insists on being your very first dance,
(You're only a little embarrassed as together you prance.)
You will always rely on his love and advice,
Yes, older dads, also, are really quite nice.

No matter his age, a there-for-you dad
Is the best very thing any girl ever had.
He shows her just what a quality guy ought to be,
So someday she can pick a good one and have her own family. 




2 comments:

  1. Okay...I guess I should just take the digital photo frame back that I got for Dad... I can't compete with your cheesiness (spl?). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mwahaha :) I think you should still give it to him, just tape a poem to the screen lol

      Delete