Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Riley!

     I remember like it was yesterday: the first time I held her in my arms and she raised her head to look at me and, in my memory at least, time stopped. For nine months I'd wondered what she would look like or how that moment would be. It was not what I had imagined - soothing an upset newborn (she did not cry for a while), crying ecstatic tears of joy, gasping from the pain and exhaustion...none of those applied. Holding her, studying her studying me, I felt peace, rightness, and quiet. And then, watching Dave hold our daughter and she looked so impossibly small and he so...taken! It seemed just natural at the time and now I see it as the best moment of my life. Thinking of it makes me feel  close to the Savior and thankful for His infinite love and the love of Heavenly Father who is responsible for all this beauty and peace and love.
 
        Suddenly a year has passed and our Riley is a walking, talking, cuddling machine. Elder Wirthlin said this life is a twinkle in the eye of eternity and that is just how I feel - time slips away so fast! Luckily parenting, like visiting teaching, is never-ending :). Every day holds new surprises and the trick, I think, is to appreciate the moments in every day and not let them slide by unnoticed and unappreciated. Like today when I was getting dressed and Riley noticed my outie belly button and kept poking it and giggling. And then we were on a walk and the trail was overtaken by sprinklers that, try to time our dashes as we might, managed to soak us thoroughly. And now she is napping and I am sitting back with my feet up, feeling the hic-ups of baby #2 and this isn't a bad moment either. What a great year it's been! Riley's tiny self has already added so much light and love to our home, I can only imagine what the next year holds.
A few more moments to love from today:
Climbing on the exercise ball I got her for "her" birthday :)

Opening presents from Grandma and Gweepa
This new book has some shocking surprises...
Dave and Riley were into the clothes - I was trying to get us out the door and to the cupcake store.
Now who does Riley take after?
Finally made it to the Sweet Tooth Fairy: winner of Cupcake Wars
Allison brought Riley a present and joined us for some sugar - turns out it is a lot more potent for adults!
Riley got a cake to match her new oufit: funfetti she only would stick her finger in it so here we are coaxing her by putting it on a fork. Who'd a thought I would have to coax a child of mine to eat cake??
Not much of a mess for a first birthday, eh? Turns out our girl is kind of indifferent to cake.
Then it was home and business as usual: bath, bottle and goodnight (though the bath was more fun with the new bath toys - thanks Mom and Dad!). That's a wrap, people! An easy, low-key, enjoyable wrap. Our baby is officially a year old!

1 comment: