Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day Weekend

It has been another weekend for the books. Saturday we got up early to beat the heat and hiked to the "G" - Pleasant Grove's letter on the mountain - something they do in UT. This has been on my list of things to do since we moved here so it was pretty exciting for me, even though we did it at half speed (quarter speed when I crab-walked down the steep parts. Oh dignity, where art thou??). It was a pretty decent hike that took us about an hour and a half, the view was fantastic and the trail was prettier than the "Y" in Provo. Highly recommend. 
Sitting on the G! Glad I didn't stop when we were close enough to hit it with a rock, as I considered doing....
Riley no longer fits in her baby carrier-good thing Dave is strong and willing!  She ended up falling asleep on top of his  head - completely zonked the last mile of the hike. 
*Note: hiking when you are pregnant is not bad if you take it at your own speed and drink enough, plus all the other hikers (strangers) cheer for you. Its nice. Dave got some cheering too, but it was in the form of, "I wish someone would carry me." and "What a lucky girl!" She really is. 

Long-awaited Father's Day: This time last year Dave had zero kids. Next month he will have two. I was so excited because for once I felt like I nailed it in the present department (which Dave always does - very hard to compete with such thoughtfulness!). I took my first foray into freezer paper-stenciling. I followed a tutorial for it here, and am pleased to say it turned out well. The shirt is Maury Povich Show-inspired: a classy program that I am hesitant to explain (kinda have to see it to get it), but basically Maury has troubled couples on the show who need a paternity test done and if the Dad was wanting to be the father and Maury tells him,"You ARE the father" he goes all thug and does a handstand or takes his shirt off. Its ridiculous and we watch it from time to time and laugh. Then Maury says, "Till next time, America." Like all of America is watching. 
Oh, and breakfast in bed: Nerd's. Its kind of a joke about Dave's healthy eating habits. Oh, "Nice velvet art," you say? Thanks, its for sale to the first offer. The very first, we'll take! Just kidding, Dave - you know I wouldn't get rid of it. Unless someone offers... ;)
Took a long time to exacto the letters and dude out of freezer paper, iron it on and paint, but fun to see his face. I think I'll make a matching onsie for new baby.
 Then we went to church: must include some pictures of this studdly pair:
A rare head-band shot - they never stay on long
And they were done. Time to head to church!
After church we came home and napped, made rolls for Father's Day dinner, card for Don (Dave's creative genius) and headed to Don and Suzette's where we had a nice dinner and visit and ended the night picking 17 gallons of cherries (not an exaggeration!). 

After a while Riley and I sat down and started bagging up the cherries out of the baby bath sized bucket we kept filling. She was rocking so peacefully next to me. "Poor baby's tired," I thought. Nope, "Poor baby" was just working on the biggest blow-out of her life: down her leg, through the seat and onto the grass below. Thanks for keeping it real, kiddo!
Riley and Uncle Jake 17 gallons of cherries and an outfit change later.
Feeling lucky have a whole lot of happy and beautiful in life and be part of a family that cares for each other: sure hope you are all likewise feeling the love! Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I love the shirt! So Dave! Happy Fathers Day Dave! (and uncle Don)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to be creative with that shirt! That's pretty impressive.
    (and happy birthday to Riley today, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete