Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Out on the town

Today. Was a great day. And I took pictures. Well, it started with last night: I got 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Little H has been nursing every two or three hours for over a week, around the clock. Some nights, more like hourly :'( But last night, that awful streak finally broke, Hallelujah! (haha - that's not going to make anyone want to have kids. It's just that newborn stage, I promise.) Well, so at 5am when he finally woke up to nurse, I was awake and waiting. I was up before either of the other two and had a load of laundry done before breakfast, go me! We cleaned the house a little and got ready for the day and then headed to the library, finally! We have lived three months without a library trip, sadly, but I'm in "check off the to-do list" mode this week, and the library card was next. By the way, our new library = super cute.


Funny story: so after Henry's week-long binge-eating sesh, today, suddenly he's barely interested in food at all. In fact, he's more into pretending to eat, and grinning while looking up at me side ways to see if I'm watching. Sooo funny :) He decided to pull this in the library. I had a nursing cover on kind of, but he kept popping his head up to see my reaction to his antics, so it was basically useless. Then I look over at the boat to check on Riley and Joe and I'm met with a stare from a little three'ish year old girl, looking at me through binoculars. She wasn't shy either. She waved, I waved, we had a good laugh. Ahhh me.

We loaded up on books and then they wanted to go for a walk. It was another scorcher, so when our walk took us near this little soft serve place, how could I resist? Such a fun spot, and very busy.



Yeah, it was picturesque. Then we came home and Joe had a belated birthday present. Oh my goodness - our new best toy is not a toy! Coolest bank ever. Thanks, Mom and Dad!


How fun is that?! They spent the rest of the evening filling it up and emptying it out, over and over. This is a great toy for Joe, i.e. old moneybags. Literally! He keeps ziplock bags of coins in his drawers and random places throughout the house. There was some confusion about how money put in the bank somehow should disappear and go magically to "the real bank," but I think I cleared it up. Although it's hard to say. Remind me to tell you about the time I explained alcohol to the kids and they somehow got that alcohol is pool water and if you drink it you will go to jail. Oh yes. Super awkward when they got to the pool and pointed at every person they passed with a beverage and said, "That guys' got alcohol. That girl's got alcohol." Erm, ahem, cough cough. Of course, mostly they were right, but it was still awkward.
I guess he came to the dinner table still hyped up, because he used his plastic plate to bat his plastic cup off the table, just something he gets a thrill out of doing sometimes. Alas, this time his cup actually had milk in it. I never realized how literal the saying, "cry over spilled milk" was till I had kids...so much spilled milk. Or rather, exploded milk, as in this case. Milk on the walls, the floor, my hair...it was quite the clean up.

For dinner I was feeling the veggie vibe and I made a pretty scrumptious stir fry with chicken and rice. Of course, I always have to over-sell veggie dishes to get the kids on board. I said, "I am loving this stir fry guys - all your favorite vegetables and a few other ones to try, chicken, soy sauce and honey (Joe likes honey)...Oh! And I made rice too!" Joe's response: "Yeah, but tomorrow Mom, can you please make something yummy for dinner?" Wah wah... And then Henry spit up on me.

So yeah, great day! haha! In review, it looks like a big chaotic mess. I guess what made it good, was one, feeling rested. Two, my plans actually worked out and the kids actually had a fun day. Sometimes, it's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment