Sunday, July 17, 2016

Joey, joey, fo-foey, foey, sh-showey showey...

 JOEY!!!
Baby Joe, almost four years ago.
 Tonight I'm thinking about Joe. Partly  because his birthday is coming up and partly because lately I've been thinking about how he's in the middle. He's between a very sweet, beaming sister and an adorable baby and he himself isn't much for posing for camera's, or acting cute for attention. He's more likely to headbutt for attention. Because of these factors, I don't think he gets as much credit as he deserves but his is. Freaking. Awesome.


I love Joe so much. He is such a little sweetheart, smart as they come, and very adventurous. He loves to rough house, but he is also sensitive and anxious about things, and is so brave every day. Example: Mall of America yesterday when we were looking down on the rotunda from the third floor, nothing but a glass wall between us and the drop. I see him backing away and ask if he would hold my hand, to which he replies, "Thank you, Mommy. I'm scared of the tippy top." I could tell it bothered him, but he didn't freak out, just held my hand. I held tight as long as he'd let me.

Also, he is such a defender of his loved ones, and especially Riley. Once, Riley was singing on the playground and dancing around like Maria on Sound of Music and he and the little boys he was playing with stopped to watch her, in awe. The other little boys started to giggle (not viciously - they were younger than Joe I believe) but Joe got defensive and told them not to laugh and planted himself in front of her to block them seeing her, crossing his arms over his chest. She of course, was trying to dance around him so that her audience could see, but he didn't want anyone laughing at his adored sister. He thinks a lot of Riley. And he always knows just what to say when she is performing. "Oh yes, very boo-tiful." Something like that.



He always jumps at the chance to help Mommy or Henry - he's the official binky-getter. In the car, when Henry cries, Joe sings him songs about how cute he is and how we will help him. He has yet to turn me down when I ask him to bring me anything (it might be a wonderful stage, but it's great).


  
He loves to get up early before Riley and Henry to have some one-on one time. Yesterday morning he and I made cinnamon rolls, his favorite, and he chatted the whole time. Told me about his dreams last night, asked me about ingredients...I don't remember much of what was said (it was early), I just remember how happy he was. He and Riley are both kind of morning people. Huh.



 Well, it is hours past my bedtime, and I'm typing away in bed and probably really annoying Dave who has to get up early, but I felt like I needed to put these thoughts on paper. On screen. It's good to dwell on how awesome people are sometimes, so as to appreciate them more consciously. I appreciate you, Joe. And when you wake up tomorrow I'm going to read this to you. You make our family so much more fun and exciting, and bring joy to your friend, teachers, extended family, and a whole lot of others. I am so grateful you are my son.
Oh, and PS: if you're wondering where he gets his ravishing good looks:
Yeah, we're definitely related.
G-night! Morning! Dang it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, you're so hilarious! And I think my life goal will be to be as appreciative as a mother as you are. Way to count your blessings sweetie. You are inspirational with your adorable ducklings in tow.

    ReplyDelete