Friday, August 14, 2015

Zion National Park: The Narrows

When we left UT a couple years ago we left with the regret that we hadn't made it to Zion Park yet. Visiting Bryce Canyon really gave me the bug for southern Utah. So this past weekend was something of a realization of a dream! And bonus - it was with the whole Harreld family. It was a blast!

Originally, last weekend was supposed to be a camping trip, somewhere not too far from home. But then we remembered: we like beds, and so a house was arranged in St. George, about an hour from the park. The first day we got to visit the St. George temple and meet up with long-time friend and taco night conspirator, Leo.




There is something about being with friends who knew you pre-parenthood, you know? Makes you feel young again! (You know what doesn't make you feel young? Riley telling everyone that, "Mom is super old. Not me - I'm 4. But my mom - OLD.") It was wonderful to catch up. And I loved seeing the St. George temple and strolling through the visitors center. They had a beautiful painting exhibit of pioneer scenes, any one of which I would totally hang in my home. If I was a wealthy man! (Hope you sang that.)

After dinner at a restaraunt, swimming, and a sound nights sleep on a cozy bed in an air-conditioned home, we initiated the next stage of our "camping" trip: Hike the Narrows. Actually, we had to find parking first, which was a trial for my soul. I lack patience. Especially for people lounging around their car, rubbing on lotion, taking selfies, and tidying up their trunk when like a million people are waiting to park.

Ahem. And then we hiked the Narrows.

Everyone was excited. Glub glub.
Leaving the crowds on the shore.

Due to a rainstorm earlier, the river was high and strong and water looked like chocolate milk - you couldn't see rocks even just below the water's surface. It made  for very sketchy wading.



Back on the bus - Riley and Joe's favorite part of the whole trip.
Buffalo Wild Wings for the victory dinner. We were all pooped, and I didn't even mind that Riley and Joe spent the whole meal on BWW iPads playing games. I call that a win for everyone!


2 comments: