Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

Mothers. Mothers are what bring us here today...I have loved all the mother thoughts, videos, essays that have been overtaking the internet this past week. People sure do love their moms! Common threads are about a mother's sacrifice, mom's love, her patience and hard work. My mom is all of those things and more than words can say. But I'm gonna try!
Mom, my mom, is simply a beautiful soul (though her looks are good too). If you want to talk about any Christ-like attribute - charity. patience, virtue, service, etc. - she comes to my mind. She is simply a really good person and I couldn't ask for a better role model.

I got a patriarchal blessing when I was a teen that told me (which I knew) that I was blessed with a good mother, and that I should always listen to her advice (which I probably needed to hear, given that I was a teenager). I've tried to stay true to that, but you know, Mom is a not a big one for advice.

When I had my first baby I got advice from every Tom, Dick and Harry on the street about how to raise kids. But from Mom, who had raised eight of them: nothing! Well, not nothing - I did got a lot of support and comforting words after sleepless nights or fussy days. I got generalities like, "every baby's different," and, "follow your intuition." I'm certain there are times she could have said something as I fumbled my way motherhood, but she let me figure it out and keep my confidence intact. Really, she has such generosity of spirit, you never need worry about your self confidence with her - she builds people up.

The small man
Builds cages for everyone
He
Knows.
While the sage,
Who has to duck his head
When the moon is low,
Keeps dropping keys all night long
For the
Beautiful
Rowdy
Prisoners.
~Hafiz

I've shared this with Mom before but am sharing it here today because, thoughts of your mother should be recorded, especially on Mother's Day. Mom is the sage. It's one of her gifts.

The picture above was taken last September at Jon's wedding. It was a beautiful day. Doesn't she look radiant? Would you even guess she'd found out her diagnosis for cancer just that week? And was keeping it quiet so that we could enjoy the day? She made the trip, was there for everything and everyone, warm and loving and serving, greeting old friends at the wedding and celebrating in spite of the painful pressure in her abdomen and weighty new challenge on her shoulders. She and Dad told us the news that night in a family meeting I will never forget. We were shocked and destroyed for a crushing moment, but the bond between us all was palpable and the spirit was strong, and we wouldn't have had that were it not for the way we'd been raised.That was eight months ago and since then we have grown closer as a family and I know I speak for everyone when I say we have a better understanding of what matters in life. Mom is more of an advocate for health, love, kindness, and gospel than ever. She is an inspiration.

Inspiration. That is the word for her.

Love you, Mom.
 
*What's your one word for Mom?
*Inspiration for all mothers
*A great read on parenting and sabbath thoughts
*One more, because I loved it: Mother memories from prophets and apostles

No comments:

Post a Comment