Saturday, November 8, 2014

Feeling the Feels

Such a roller coaster of a week we've had! Nothing particularly super great or devastating - just the eb and flow of life I guess. But I tell you, one day is wonderful and..."...everyone is well, everyone is happy, and for that one moment...you have peace." Then, the next day dawns and...well, I'm on a mission to complain less, but sheesh!

"They're hot, they're cold, they're high, their low...they're up, they're down...this is really fun making a list with you, but I do have a column to write." Why don't I just do a whole post in nothing but romantic comedy quotes? I'm sure I could.

Anyways.

I am not known for my silent suffering, but I am trying to focus on the good and remember that happiness is a choice. At the same time, I want to feel all the feels and work through them in a healthy way, and come out on top. A good cry can do wonders. And a good honest talk with The Man Upstairs (prayer, that is) certainly makes the world a lot brighter.

We're all working on it, right? Raising other human beings has made me key witness to the work and effort involved in dealing our feelings, and responding to difficult circumstance. Here is a funny little moment Dave caught on camera, which I, ever helpful, transcribed for you. It is kind of relevant.
 And then Joe danced. But Dave just got a picture of that part.

Thank you, PBS, and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (a Mr. Rogers spinoff, for those of you who don't have toddlers.) While the song does have an annoying way of sticking in your head, the message is a true one. We should be patient with our feelings. Maybe acknowledging it and being ok with it opens up some energy to work your way up.

Mr. Rogers can wrap up this brooding moment now:
“How great it is when we come to know that times of disappointment can be followed by joy; that guilt over falling short of our ideals can be replaced by pride in doing all that we can; and that anger can be channeled into creative achievements... and into dreams that we can make come true.”  ~Mr. Fred Rogers
I think that what he is describing comes with maturity. And I think someday I will be super mature.
*PS: I am obviously not talking about depression the illness here. That's a horse of a different color.
*PSS: I'm quite happy at the moment - these are just things that have been on my mind this week.

It really was a good week, over all. Picture time!
We visited Choo Choo Bob's this week for a rare story time. "Conductor Paul" played his guitar and engaged the children in songs and stories and did some color-matching activities. The kids were riveted, and we have been singing the "Peanut butter" song every bedtime since! There was a little peanut on the the railroad tracks, his heart was all a-flutter. A-long came, a choo choo train - UH OH - peanut butterrrrr." Love it!
 We bundled up and got out to the playgrounds. Kids get antsy inside, so we get out whenever we can.
We thawed our bones with hot chocolate and buttered toast
 Riley and I painted together during that one nap Joe took this month. It was tender. She said it made her "really big happy."
 Story time lady brought her friend who brought ducks! I learned that ducks, while not the brightest of creatures (the lady gets them to leave their nests at night by walking into the duck house with white tennis shoes and they all come down to check out the "new ducks") are very friendly and easy to raise. I also learned that duck eggs are fantastic to bake with because of their big, clearer yolk. I also learned that I want to keep ducks.
Today we partied: went to a movie (How to Train Your Dragon at the dollar) and out for pizza (OUT, as in not Little Ceasars. It was a bit pricier but it was delicious). And Riley and Joe got the joy of people watching, which they love to do. Over the chest-high wall, through the windows next to our booth. Creepers.

We also got Joe a bed today! He has for a while now been sleeping on a memory foam pad on the floor, and seemed comfy enough, but when we saw a cute little wood bed at Unique Thrift for 10 dollars, we of course had to get it. I asked him if he'd like a new bed and he said, "No - that bed is for puppies!" I felt a little bad explaining to him that no, little boys sleep on beds, and that was going to be his bed. Poor people! Am I right? Although, I have toyed with the idea of someday all sleeping on mats on the floor, like Japanese people, out of principle. I hate moving, and that alone makes me want to be a minimalist.

And now I am the only one awake around here. Not a creature is stirring; I'm going to go join them.

*Have you read, "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? It is a book written from the perspective of the family dog but... it kind of blew my mind. So much I could say about this book but I think the greatest take-away for me was that the struggle is won inside ourselves first before victory manifests in the real world. We'll be talking about it in book club this month, but if you've read it and want to discuss, hit me back!

1 comment: