Sunday, October 19, 2014

Toddler Tribute to Fall (aka what we do when we aren't blowing our noses)

We are in the late stages of peak fall colors hear in Minneapolis. So says the news (yes, that's news! It's Minnesotan code for "enjoy it while it lasts! Suckas!"). This afternoon, well, I slept my life away - so worth it - but Dave and the kids carpe diem'd the heck out of those leaves!


Filming creds to Dave - thanks for allowing me to both nap and not completely miss this iconic fall activity. The song is one of Riley's favorites and is a popular request for a bedtime lullaby.

Oh man, there is nothing like seeing the world through a child's eyes. Or, rather through the phone camera of your spouse, who is seeing it through their eyes. Dave was in Seattle this week, scoping out potential employers, and boy did we miss him. These kids, they woke up and went to bed with Dad on the brain, and Friday night was a blessed reunion.
We have had a semi-stressful week with a nasty cold that lasted much longer than it should have, but there have been several bright spots too. I finally got to teach our preschool class two days this week. Up till now I have just dropped the kids off and had my own free time, not a bad thing, but I was glad to play teacher and do fun crafts and things with the kids. We have four energetic boys and Riley and it. is. a. party. 
She's a classy reader. Above her you can see several of their preschool projects.
 Also of note: MN Children's Museum. Funny story, it is located in St. Paul, our city last year, but now that we live in Minneapolis, it is much closer! Ok, maybe not that funny...But we were going to do another apple orchard that day till I decided I didn't want to risk wind aggravating Joseph's cough. (You know I think I call him Joseph more when I am feeling maternal. But also when I'm angry. It is a name for emotion, I guess). So our friends thought up this great plan B of going to the museum and we had a great time! New displays around every corner too!
The skeleton display.
 The not-new but ever-popular water display.


This weekend has been phenomenal. Joe's feeling better, Daddy's home and totally giving me a break, letting me sleep or shop or do what I want. Yesterday we had a date too! But not with each other...I took Riley out, for a "double date" with her bestie, Gracie, and her mom, and Joe and Dave went to McDonalds and the park, just the two of them. You just don't know how much that one-on-one means till you are actually doing it! Riley was tickled to be out having a "girl's night" - she and Gracie were thick as thieves during the movie (How to Train Your Dragon 2 - soo good - I really enjoyed it. Oh, and so did Riley). Then we went to lunch and the park (Riley and Gracie mostly ditched us there, but that's ok - we adults like to talk too), and then Riley and I went shopping for new pajamas but she was more interested in a my little pony journal and pen set so we got that. 


I have such fond memories of one-on-one dates with my mom or dad. I remember going for ice cream with Dad and then he took me to the toy store after and I got to pick out a Pound Puppy - I couldn't have been more than eight...teen. :) And then, later, a lunch date with mom followed by hours at JoAnne's picking out fabric and a pattern for a prom dress. It must have been difficult for them to organize dates with each of their 8 children, when time and money were both in high demand, but you know what: THANK YOU, Mom! THANK YOU, DAD! I will never forget those times and how you went out of your way to make me feel special.

Oh, one last thing - some pictures from Dave's trip to Seattle. There is a chance we'll be moving there next year (so far! But so cool!). Dave stayed with mission buddy, Mike and his wife, Shayla and their two little ones, which he really enjoyed, and he also got to check out the city a little. 'Bout near got hit in the face with a fish at the Seattle Fish Market, which he visited mostly for me since I've seen it on the Food Network enough to be weirdly star-struck about it. The things we do for the people we love! (that was a shout out to Patti Smith, who went with Joe to an 8-hour bluegrass festival this weekend. Ah, so much love :).
 Mike and Shayla's baby is just a few weeks old, and Dave took a picture for me. Sooo sweet. Makes my uterus feel a little dusty.

Too much?

Good night then!

No comments:

Post a Comment