Sunday, October 5, 2014

A whole lotta everything

What a weekend. Many of you know now that my mom started a battle with cancer in the past few weeks. We only found out three weeks ago, actually, as we gathered after Jon's wedding reception, and it was quite a shock - devastating that our beautiful little momma was threatened by the sinister "c" word. The word still kind of sticks in my throat. She and Dad have always been such rocks of faith though, and that hasn't changed. We are to go on living our lives and be happy, mom told us. "Yes, Mom, we're just crying cause we're happy," I told her. Sometimes bad jokes help me deal.

In the weeks that have followed we have all experienced an array of emotions, adjusting to the situation, and have relied heavily on prayer and on each other and the limitless kindness of friends, family, and strangers. Dave has been awesome. She had surgery on Friday to remove a tumor and the kidney it was attached to and there were some complications after with a drop in blood pressure and it was all a little scary. So we prayed and breathed (I have gotten so used to taking a deep breath and blowing it out now, I do it even when I'm not thinking of it) and hoped and the situation has improve drastically since then, I am relieved to report. Mom has been an absolute champion - she is so strong and amazing, not that I'd expect anything less from the woman who has always been such a powerhouse. A humble, gentle, change-the-world-with-love powerhouse, but undeniably a force to be reckoned with.

So, to sum up: Mom's ok. And the world feels different than it did before, but I am learning to trust God more as he helps us  through the inevitable hard parts. I feel that God must be even more by Mom's side in this and it comforts me. I went to the temple one rainy day last week and that really comforts me too. In keeping with my "Light" theme lately, this quote came to mind: I've got another postcard for my mirror:
God's love is always available to us,  I know that. I have to remember to turn to it though.

This blog is also a kind of comfort. I will continue to post silly inconsequentials that make me happy and, I have it on good authority, are also enjoyed by grandparents, grandparent-figures, and bored people across the nation, so don't worry about that. Speaking of...

Silly inconsequential of today: we had the missionaries over for dinner and right after one of them told us that Joe was going to be a heart throb with the ladies, Joe broke wind and announced to the table, "I poop-it." That's they're cutsie name for it. Never a dull moment, I'm telling you!

Also this week, Joe's taken to biting! He is already ten times more physical than Riley ever was, and now he has resorted to his teeth whenever the bigger kids try to take his toys, which, with toddlers, is pretty often. Riley has a mark on her arm! I read on the internet to bite them back when they do that  but it seems a little extreme. I told Dave about that right after he rescued Riley from Joe's chompers yesterday, and Dave was all, "You want me to bite him? Can't you just poke him with your fork or something?" Ha. We have to teach him somehow though - can't have him going all mad dog on the other preschoolers, and I'm pretty certain you aren't allowed to muzzle a child. I'm sure it'll be fine - we have employed some stern discipline and we didn't have any incidents today so maybe he is learning. He really is quite a sweet boy.

In other news, Don visited! Last week, and it was so good to see him and for Riley and Joe to get Grandpa time (although they did ask where Jake was - apparently you guys are a package deal now!) Riley was so excited to show him around her new house. "Here are the books - I took them out of the box my self, and put them on that shelf. Wanna see my room?" Riley still can hardly believe we aren't about to pick up and move again - it was a weird summer for her.
Grandpa gets me.
He had a bunch of these in the pockets that he rediscovered yesterday and immediately tried to put on his head. Free hairnets! Alright!
This is how we have to sing "Sunbeam" now.
We had a very nice visit, short and sweet that it was. Thanksgiving will be here before we know it though, and we'll get to see all our Harrelds then.

A few more from this week:
 Here Riley is with our neighbor friend, watching "Finding Nemo" and sharing a blanket. This is the one who, when Riley came out to the park one day in her ruffly tutu, said, "Hi sweetie, I love your outfit," and she went all shy, eyelashes a-battin. Whoa! Whoa! Whoooaa! Her all-boy cast of friends here was supposed to break her out of her princess phase but so far, no dice.

Riley also wants to be a mom lately, so she says. She has set the table a few times and, when I'm upstairs, takes advantage of a free kitchen and makes her and Joe sandwiches. Joe is on board - he actually made the sandwich seen here, with three pieces of bread. We love our carbs.
 We were making cookies the other day and I told Riley she could do the baking soda, but she misheard me. Here she is asking, "Can I do the Minnesoda now, Mom?" She likes the word I think - loves to hop on her car or scooter and say, "I'm off to Minnesooota!"
 And finally, here are their church outfits today. Riley had specific opinions about it, so we went along. I'm not going to lie: I kind of dig it. Mom made the poncho a while back, but Riley only just fell in love with it - she went to bed with it on tonight.

This is getting long, but last thing: today was a gift from heaven. It being General Conference weekend (something of a holiday for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the real name for Mormons, by the way) I made cinnamon rolls the night before, well, rather, took some out of the freezer that I'd made weeks before. So first thing on this chilly morning, I popped them into the oven and, inspired by the delicious smell, I snuggled down on the couch with the babies and watched "While You Were Sleeping." I know, I know. It's October, and I don't care.

Snuggling on the couch in the middle of a baby sandwich, watching a holiday movie and cinnamon rolls baking in the oven...Heaven can't be much better than that. Then we went to church to listen to inspiring, uplifting messages, came home and napped/watched the second session (I maintain that naps are good for the soul) and then had the missionaries over for dinner, followed by an autumn walk to collect leaves for leaf tracings.

We are ready for Monday! Got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment