Sunday, April 27, 2014

Wherein I Pranked the Sunbeams

Mostly I want to tell you about my winner of a Sunbeam lesson today. But I'll probably work around to other stuff too - you know how that goes. Anyways, today I finally incorporated the gross cookie object lesson! I pretty much always want to incorporate a gross cookie/good cookie juxtaposition into my lessons but today's topic was keeping the Sabbath holy and I felt like I could really play it up with this topic.

First I fanned a bunch of food pictures in my hands for the kids to draw and show the class and talk about how delicious these foods are. Blueberries, cheese, pretzels, and ketchup on fries.
Me, as I pull out a covered plate: So do you love all those delicious foods?
Salivating, giddy 3-year olds: YES! We love them!
Me: Good, because I made you cookies with those very ingredients!
Yep, that is a ketchup-blueberry-pretzel-mozzerella cookie. Barf.
You should have seen their faces! One who had bounced up when I pulled out the plate collapsed back into his chair with an audible "humph" he was so deflated. Of course, a cookie is a cookie and 3-year old a 3-year-old so they all tried a taste. But they were definitely relieved to see a second plate, this time with legit chocolate chip cookies.

The lesson was that some foods are great but in cookies, not so much. Just like how some activities are great during the week but on Sunday, not so much. BAM! Then after a short video on the principle (Jon Bytheway, found here) I had them make a list of activities they do during the week versus activities that were good for the Sabbath, one list being on the side under the pictures of the ketchup, cheese, etc, and the other listed under pictures of chocolate chips, sugar, butter - good cookie ingredients. I think they got the idea.

Of course I did have to field several questions about when they were getting another cookie. Also, one girl actually preferred the ketchup cookie to the normal one - she downed an entire gross ketchup cookie. I couldn't even watch her eat it without gagging but she did! There's always one... :) Overall, it was still a very successful lesson I think.

I love my Sunbeams - they are good for my soul and I will really miss them when we move.

I write this during another spring thunderstorm and I love the rain pounding down and occasional thunder clap. I am so grateful for spring! I remember a Prairie Home Companion where Garrison Keillor said something like, "In the heart of every true Minnesotan is the hope for just one more snow storm." Don confirmed this as factual. ish. Well, I guess I'm not there yet - I am over the moon with this warmer weather (though 37 degrees is not exactly tropical). But I will say I like Minnesota. I have never lived anywhere with such a sense of community.

Have you seen New in Town? "We talk funny and we ice-fish and we scrapbook and we drag Jesus into regular conversation..."

Uh...kinda? But what's not to love? St. Paul also has this really great blend of cultures going on that makes me feel super modern, actually.

Plus I have the best roommates!
 Except when they are the worst. Seriously, it has been tantrum central this week. Maybe from a lack of naps? We were busy doing important things. Picnicing, zoo, library, conservatory, bath paint, fro-yo, FROZEN about four times...who has time for naps?
Riley has picked up this trick from Frozen where when anyone does anything she doesn't want them to do, she will fling her palms out at you and say "STOP! DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!" It is super endearing. No not really. Joe likewise runs for his gloves when he sees Elsa and hers. 
*PSA on those lunch boxes the kids have in bottom left corner: they are the handiest thing! I love that they can see the portion sized out properly and that I can just pop off the lids when we are out and let them do the rest. So much easier than opening a bunch of baggies that are then thrown away. And the kiddies love having a little more autonomy. easylunchboxes.com yo!

And finally - a big shout out to my man Dave, who took the kids to the park and lunch while I shopped alone, ate alone, and blew no one's nose but my very own! While they were off hunting for the tallest slide in St. Paul (they found it - it is ridiculous and pre-dates modern safety standards I believe), I was able to end the awful hell that is swim suit shopping! I am happy to report my new suit meets both criteria of A) being colorful and happy and B) covers the whole of the butt cheek. Seriously - why is that so hard to find! Why is it so fashionable for suits to cut well above the fanny line?? Exactly how many women want that area exposed in the broad light of day!!! 

Okay rant over. If you are on the hunt as well, here's what works for me: bottoms and top, which is not my exact one but similar.

Right-o then. Off to bed. May April showers sing you to your rest...
That was for you old-school Dr. Doolittle fans out there. Em, I'm looking at you.




No comments:

Post a Comment