Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Student Daddy David

So on this blog you see a lot of what me and the babies are doing from day to day. Maybe you would like to know what Dave does all day. Which makes two of us! Kidding! I have a rough idea:

Every morning he is up and out, grabbing a cheese stick or an apple for the bus and forgetting his lunch on the counter, before the sun has even risen and while the rest of us are still snuggled in our beds. I get a kiss and an, "I love you," before he sneaks out the door. Do you know how annoying it is to head out into the cold dark after kissing someone still snuggled in their bed? Cause I don't! Ha!


He studies, attends class, does group work and, if he gets out in time to catch the express bus, we see him at about 5:30. If not, later. But whenever he comes home, he comes with a smile and a hug for everyone. Last night he got home a bit late, during the kids bathtime. He hadn't even got his backpack off before he went to say, "Heeeyyy BABIES!" to them in the bathtub, and recieved a delighted cheer in return.

Then he ate a heaping plate of dinner (missed lunch again, perhaps?) and started on the dishes while I pajamed the children, brushed little teeth, and read stories. A half hour or so later, Dave finished the dishes (we don't have a dish washer - it takes a little time) and settled down on the couch with his laptop and books. There was a break in the studying in which we discussed fun things like Christmas and Halloween and Don's visit, as well as less fun things like the logistics of making rent on student loans (ugh - money. Dave told me don't think about it. Also don't spend it :). But when I went to bed at 11:30, he and his great brain were back buried in that homework. When I rolled out of bed at 7:00 this morning, he was gone.

He never complains. He doesn't even tell me how much work he has lest I feel guilty letting him help around the house. He consistently and cheerfully goes about the business of full-time husband, daddy, and student. Real loads, all of them - even for someone of his resourcefulness.


His confidence and faith are the rock of this house. I love him more than I thought I could love a person and I have absolute respect for the way he has chosen to live his life and be the person he is. Often I say, "Thanks for doing that," when what I mean is, "You are the light of my life." "Great idea!" when what I feel is, "What would the world be like without you???" Seriously. In our prayers together he often prays that we will feel gratitude for our blessings. Well, I am overwhelmed. So grateful for you, Dave!

*And yes I did let the kids have their way with the house while I wrote this. I love you that much! We now have captain crunch floor instead of laminate in the kitchen. 

5 comments:

  1. I have a question Heidi. (this is Chris by the way) does Dave ever get cheesy and lovey dovey with you? Because that is a side I've never seen of him. I was use to the sarcastic and hoking Dave. Either way he is great. I can't wait till I move out there so I can be closer to ya'll

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really precious. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too, Pohai! Hope you are doing good!

      Delete
  3. Heeeeeedi!!! You are so awesome. I'm glad you guys are doing so well. We barely have Internet over here so I'm just catching up on your blog a bit. Loved this one. It is so cute and it gives me hope.... Brian starts a phd next year (still don't know where) and I assume our lives will look a lot like this. I am so impressed with how patient and grateful you are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzie! It is so good to hear from you! I hope you learn where you are going for Brian's school soon - that is exciting stuff. Keep me posted!

      Delete