Sunday, November 22, 2015

This Day Rockwells!


Norman. Rockwell, that is. I might have to name my child after him. I've always liked his stuff. Like to think of my life as a Norman Rockwell painting. Romanticizes the messiness, maybe? Anyway, BYU Museum of Art is featuring a collection of his - free through February 13th! Reserve your tickets! Of course we had to go, and Em and Chris joined us and we had a blast. I don't know if you are supposed to have a blast, per se, in a museum, but we did!

Some pieces were familiar but most were new to me. And art snobs who think Rockwells are too simplisstic or something be darned, his art captures the beauty and meaning of everyday human life, relationship and emotions. And I'm going to name my baby after him. You know, maybe.




 And behold: the faces of Norman Rockwell, as interpreted by us.


 Things got a little silly. What can I say, I was excited!

An hour and a half later, after a double walk-through the gallery as well as a documentary about Norman Rockwell, I was pretty high on life. When I saw a new ice cream place called Rockwell in downtown Provo I was even higher. It was their grand opening! Who can resist a theme day?? And, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the s'more icecream was the best, creamiest ice cream I've ever eaten. Ever! And I've eaten so much ice cream!

Deep breaths.

We also had lunch at Guru's and took a little walk around the almost-finished Provo city temple.



 If you don't watch out, Joe will dump a bunch of water on his head to "make his hair awesome." He was so proud of this one, he took a picture of it.



After that we drove over a nail and Dave got to change our tire, and then I went out for a girl's night out on the town, i.e. dinner with missionary companions and mission president. Bri and Ashley and I worked together...9 years ago (!!!) in Barrow-in-Furness (seriously that is ridiculous, it doesn't seem nearly that long). It's still so fun to hang out though - catch up and reminisce. And President and Sis. Jacobsen are still just as awesome. We got to see pictures and hear tales of their latest adventures white water rafting and touring Petra and the pyramids, and I just think they have discovered the fountain of youth, because I don't know a lot of people, of any age, as adventurous as they. Also they were able to give us lots of updates on the missionaries I haven't seen in ages. Many thanks to the husbands who stayed home with the kids, Sis. Jacobsen whose cooking is to die for, and just the universe for cooperating and granting a girl so many wishes in one day.
 (did I mention the ice cream?? :)

I don't always have the best days, but when I do, they are freaking awesome.

*Um...so I tell the kids that they get to choose what kind of day they have, and it's up to them to make it awesome or not, but I forget that too. I know I'm super blessed but negative thoughts can get to you nonetheless. I loved this video of the prophet's words on gratitude and following the Savior's example, and if Thanksgiving week isn't the time to focus on living gratefully and making every day awesome, I don't know when would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment