Saturday, June 6, 2015

Family Home Evening Fail. And kites.

Jesus wants me to be loooov-ING, and kind to all I see...🎶

So we have been fairly consistent with holding a weekly family home evening. If you're not a Mormon, it is just the evening once a week that we set apart to do activities together, at home usually, as you might have deduced from the title. Typically we do something fun, with snacks and with a spiritual thought or lesson. (Official description here. It's by the cookies.) Anyways, we mostly have Riley to thank for our consistency - she asks to do it every. single. day. Usually multiple times a day. They love picking songs, having "grown up" discussions with us - "So...the Holy Ghost is inside me right now?" - playing games, and, at Riley's insistence, finishing with a draw-off of something relevant to the lesson. Or irrelevant, whichever.

The kids often pick "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" for opening hymn. This is because in their classes at church there's a game where they get to jump out of their seats at every perky "beam" part, and they like to perform this song for family sometimes via Skype. I thought: "we should have this on the blog." It's precious! It's fun!

It's a disaster is what it is. You know the term 'camera shy'? Riley and Joe are the opposite of that - they see themselves on a screen and they go a little beserk. And maybe I picked an especially slap-happy night for it, I don't know. But here; it is what it is:


This could only end in tears, as they say. Maybe next time I'll film them on the sly, with my camera phone instead of computer so they can't see themselves while it's filming.

Such as I did the next day when we were flying kites (again - kids like those kites!). We were on a donut run, happened to have the kites in the car, and made an afternoon of it. This is one of those classic, candid kid moments I want to remember - kites have become kind of a Munion family tradition. May you never be to mature and too cool for a kite!

The music is Lover's Waltz by Jay Ungar - such a pretty piece for a beautiful memory.
 

*FHE lesson helps for this lesson here
*My FHE Pinterest board 
*A few more parks to add to our "before we leave" bucket list
*Summer reading; I haven't even heard of some of these, but they look, well, enchanting!

*Riley, from her car seat, looking out at a rusty old cab driving by: "*sigh* I wish we had a taxi car..."

Night!

2 comments:

  1. I can't speak for Dave, but they come by it honestly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah...what goes around comes around, right Mom and Dad?

      Delete