Monday, March 30, 2015

30

The big 3-0. It was last Thursday but I'm only just recovering, ya whippersnappers. The thing about being married to Dave is that, well, every birthday is awesome, but this year was one for the books.

In pictures: (I could just tell you about it, but pictures can take the place of a thousand words, and you don't want to read that much so...pictures!)

I woke up to:
Riley and Joe yelled "Surprise!" and then Riley gave me her "best present." Which was a hug haha
Dave- "It was a struggle." Thanks, Dave, and babies!

Had breakfast at:
I had the femme fatale. I think it means "death of the female" because...sugar overload!
 Went into the city for shopping and exploring
Mill Ruins Park
Stone Bridge across the Mississippi. Cold cold cold, and windy.
Then Dave made us go home. Because, "Joe was tired."
Little did I know there was a hoppin' surprise party happening back at our place. Dave is so sneaky (he's been planning my birthday for six months) and Jennie (who organized/made a lot of food and tracked down friends to invite) and Allison (who flew out from UT)! Really, a lot of sneaky people were there that day.


Lots of help blowing out candles.
After several left, I had the thought to get a picture of the group.
I was shocked to see Allison here! For a second I wondered where I was. Such a surprise!
That evening Dave arranged an awesome date at an escape room. I don't know where he finds out about these things but it was pretty wild. Very James Bond. Our "team" consisted of good friends and two wild cards (a mother and son who probably didn't know they were signing on with all us crazies, but they were good sports about it - real team players.)
First we were briefed on our "mission" and given manilla folders, and I can't tell you too much about it - wouldn't want to spoil it for you, but our mission was pretty intricate and kept us engaged so when our time was up we didn't know where the hour had gone. We were "Team 46 Steps" because there were 47 steps total - we were that close to cracking the case wide open! Super fun night!

Well, Allison was here till Sunday so the birthday revelry continued throughout the weekend. We spend all day Friday at the Mall of America, shopping, eating, riding rides, and going to the movies. (Cinderella! Loved it!) Actually, what we loved most was getting off our feet - we literally shopped till we dropped...into theater seats.




 Saturday we introduced Allison to the "Scratch and Ding" Target in Minneapolis. The underground Target is in the basement of Salvation Army on 900 north and fourth, and it has tons of super-discounted but new stuff, rejected from Target stores because the packaging was dented or last season stock had to go, etc. I love it. And while we were there they announced clothing was half off for the next four hours so everyone went crazy. I got Riley 2 cute swimsuits for $4. In addition to my shirts, a picnic blanket, socks, bags, picture frame, a tutu...I'm a shopaholic no doubt, but that place you can shop with abandon, and still mostly feel ok about it.

A few blocks away is the often-recommended Blacksheep Pizza, so we seized that day. It has a stone-fired pizza oven and premium ingredients. We got the fennel sausage, hot salami, onion and cracked green olive with smoked mozzarella. Delicious! I mean, it was no Little Ceasar's with bacon-wrapped crust, but still.

Have you seen Dave's new glasses yet? Certified to be "raw as hell" by thug fellow bus passenger.

And we topped it off with some frigid, windy kite-flying at Harriet Island:





Afterwards we treated Allison to a tour of campus (in the car, while the kids napped) before heading home to get ready for the women's conference at church, the perfect end to the perfect day.

And that, my friends, about sums it up. Allison left Sunday morning and the balloons have fallen and life carries on as usual. Well, mostly. Riley and Joe still wish me happy birthday a couple times a day. But I roll with it.

Thank you to everyone who visited, babysat, called, messaged, sent cards or gifts, planned or surprised - I really appreciated it, more than you know.

4 comments: