Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Day of Love

There sure are a lot of scrooges when it comes to Valentines Day. I sure have heard a lot of, "Its just commercialization...people should show love EVERY day not just once a year...Single-awareness day...etc, etc." Good thing I have a soap box, I mean blog, so that my highly perturbed self may express an opposing view once in a while.
I have been single for every Valentines Day up till I met Dave two years ago and I have always loved Valentines Day. Growing up it meant parties at school and exchanges and Mom's special heart-shaped shortbread cookies frosted with pink icing. In high school I got flowers from a "Secret Admirer" (i.e. my mom, which I figured out when the office ladies said they came from someone who 'loved me more than anyone in the world.' Yeah, good cover, office ladies.) I've gone out with friends and roommates on Valentines, given out paper hearts and candy, eaten probably my body weight in delicious chocolate and watched countless cheesy flicks that left me all warm and fuzzy. I'm so glad I never spent one alone and grumpy, but rather celebrated with loved ones, even with no lover to speak of. Like everything else, it is what you make it. If a person wanted to use it to make a point about independence or loneliness, sad day for them! I get that holidays mean more to some people than others, but don't be a hater. Or at least save the hate for something like starvation or abuse.
I'm glad there is a day for the world to revere and celebrate together that most beautiful, most motivating force that we call love. One more cliche for the road: if you are looking for the bad, you will find it. Make it two: happiness is a choice.
While I was typing this, Riley was 'dancing' next to me. She is a joy.


Riley update: She has 2 teeth now! Last week she had none, yesterday she had 1, and today 2. We now know how to tell when one is coming: she can't sleep the night before :(
Also, Sunday when I came in the room she said "mama" and reached for me! It was a thrilling moment. Don, Suzette and Dave witnessed it. I think our excitement might have scared her off a bit - she hasn't done it since. When Riley was a month old I told Dave that while I adored her, I did not feel like a Mom yet. Dave suggested that might come when she started calling us Mom and Dad. Hearing 'mama' from her really did melt me on the spot. I could get used to that.
Dave is awesome, in a word. He is loving and kind and funny and when I'm crazy he knows just what to say to give me some perspective and make me feel better. I'm lucky to have him. Today I woke up to this lovely surprise:
He said the monster was to remind me of him while he was at work. The unibrow looks nothing like him though. Riley has thoroughly enjoyed the balloon. It is no longer whole.

One last note:
To balance all the chocolate I've eaten I made the a green smoothie today. It contained spinach, strawberries, blueberries, banana, and almond. It looks like puke but was surprisingly tolerable.

Thanks to Lora for the hand-held blender - smoothie-making is so easy now that I have no excuse. Since vitamins make me sick when I'm pregnant, I really need the nutrients. Its a good feeling to do the body a favor with some tlc.
The end.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Heid! For the last two years, I've decided that Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday, and your post reminded me why. I wish Mom would send me some of her shortbread cookies!

    ReplyDelete