Tuesday, September 3, 2019

From the Mouths of Babes

A few weeks ago, we were having a completely lovely walk around Springbrook Nature Center, and the kids all turned photographer with my phone and started competing as to who could get the best picture of butterflies, frogs, flowers, ducks...  Twas a worthy final act for my poor phone. It now resides at the bottom of a murky lake, just under a bridge that offers prime duck-photographing.

So we brought my iphone5 out of retirement. It's been fun looking at the pictures on it from 3 or 4 years ago, and I came across this delightful file I'd forgotten about, which I'll now share here.

"From the Mouths of Babes."

Me: Where are your socks? We need to find them!
Joe (3): They're camouflaged - I don't think we'll ever find them. (October 19, 2015)

Riley(4): What do you call a three-humped camel? A three-humped camel walking around! Hahaha! (October 23, 2015)

Joe: Wiley, I need a srew driver - mom locked the bathroom door again! (Pause) I need a screw driver!! (November 3, 2015)

Riley: I'm a scientist because I know lots of things, like chocolate comes from cocoa beans. And the scriptures are true and make us happy. (November 17, 2015)

Joe: *Sigh* I can't sleep with this much pink! (November 17, 2015)

Me: Joe you have got to listen to Mommy and stop doing dangerous things that get you hurt like you've been doing all day!
Joe: It's okay - tomorrow is a new day, Mommy. (January 18, 2016)

Riley: Can I sing you a lullaby Mommy?
Me: Okay
Riley: Go to sleep, Mommy Mom, so you don't want to be naughty. Go to sleep, go to sleep, you'll feel better when you sleep. (January 28, 2016)

Joe: *Sighs and looks out window* Mom, I wish I had a hump on my nose. (March 2016)

Riley: Thank you, Joe that was so nice!
Joe: Just don't hug me. (March 2016)

Joe: My imaginary friend got a little poop on his hand. (April 3, 2016)

Riley: Daddy, when you're at work, you are in my heart. (May 26, 2016)

Joe: *Points to breakfast cereal* May I punch that? (June 2, 2016)


Riley: The earth is really small.
Me: It's actually really big - bigger than Minnesota, bigger than our whole country!
Riley: People only think it's big because we are really, really small. But actually Earth is a very small planet.
Me: *Blinks.* (June 29, 2016)

Beginning of 16 hour road trip, 1am:
Riley: I LOVE this time of night! This is my favorite time of night! Because of the clouds!
Joe: I brought the best toys in my pack-pack. I brought the MONKEY BOOK! I'm going to stay up all night! That car looks like a hot dog and I want to eat it!
7am:
Joe: Can we go to the airport now?
Me: No.
Joe: Well, are we in Baginia yet?

February 19, 2017:
Dave: I'm going to finish cutting my hair now.
Joe: But you already look handsome! 

I don't know why I started or stopped this file, but I'm so glad to have it, and to be chuckling over the funny things kids say three years later. I should probably start doing this again - Henry regularly has the funniest observations, but I can't recall any of it, probably because 8 years of consistent sleep deprivation has wrecked my short term memory. I'm not bitter. But I am going to bed now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment