Monday, December 8, 2014

These are a few of my favorite things

The past week I have been trying slowing down, keep it simple. I love this time of year, but the holidays get crazy-busy and I could (and have, in the past) run myself ragged, trying to catch every bit of Christmas glitter falling from the sky: Santa has a million different venues, everyone is celebrating with different traditions, and Pinterest, don't even get me started, but I want to make ALL of it. You got to pace yourself. Treat yo' self, yes, but I just don't want to finish the year feeling hung over, if you know what I mean.

Good, better best. So many good things to do this year, so we get to focus on the best!

Best = sugar cookies, carols, watching White Christmas, Elf, While You Were Seeping, It's a Wonderful Life, decorating the tree, reading the Grinch Who Stole Christmas and Christmas Carol, cookie swap, going to visit family, homemade ornaments, 1st Presidency Christmas devotional, making thoughtful gifts, sledding, building snowmen, making snow angels, cinnamon rolls, hot chocolate...and that's me being selective! Haha, well I didn't say I was good at it.

Oh, and add to the list: the ward Christmas party! I love church Christmas parties. Ham and cheeeesy potato casseroles, gangs of kids running all over, carols and everyone shaking hands and "Merry Christmas"ing each other. I love it. I love listening to the miracle of Jesus' birth. Mary was younger than me, maybe 15. But what a sweet little mama and her precious baby boy. Did they shoo the animals out for the event? No I guess not, not in the middle of the night in a packed city - they would have kept vigil as the Savior was born...I'm so glad for this time to reflect and be grateful for God's gift of peace and hope to the world.

The Christmas devotional last night warmed my heart. It grew three sizes. I loved the picture Elder Maynes drew of the sweet family Christ was born into. And the Christmas stories...I'm so glad we have more than a pickle to give Riley and Joe for Christmas.

While we were painting popsicle sticks this afternoon, Riley asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I pulled a Dad and told her I just wanted smiling faces. She thought about that, frowned  and said, "No Mom! You have to pick somesing." So then I pulled a Dave and said, "I want some new socks," and she brightened up considerably. Nodding, she said "Ok Mom, I'll get you that. Ok." 

I love hanging out with these guys. Sometimes, they chase me around with the KitchenAid dough hook like they are Captain Hook.

Today we made hot cocoa mix (after a chilly afternoon at the park. Even wearing snow suits, they were ready for hot coco as soon as we walked through the door). The recipe was Alton Brown's and I must say, very delicious.
 Then we started making ornaments. If you are a grandparent you will probably get one. Lucky!
 Riley wanted a go with the camera. Here are some pictures she shot:
Cocoa goatee!
Go Riley! Our photographer! She sure has a knack for making people smile.

They fell asleep in my arms while I was reading to them tonight. It was a blessed day.

I'm really looking forward to next week when Dave finishes the semester and can play with us too - we miss him when he's gone. Joe always tries to follow him out in the morning, and Riley welcomes him home by slamming and locking the front door so, she says, "you can't get back out!" Haha! That's what he gets for being such a great dad!

We love you, Dave!
What would a favorite things post be with out my babydaddy? All time fav, right there!

*You can watch the Christmas Devotional online here
*Alton Brown's hot chocolate mix here 
*This Nutcracker sampling is on the docket for tomorrow - Riley will love it!
*My burgeoning holiday Pinterest board is here - if I started now I could make it all before the kids go to college, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment