Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentines Day and Photo Dump

*Warning: pictures in this post do not relate whatsoever to the content.

Did you know the movie "Valentines Day" is responsible for our marriage and consequent two children? Okay that might be an overstatement, but it was on a date to see that movie that Dave had the epiphany he wanted to marry me. Or was it at the seven eleven Slurpees, or the long-boarding down Provo canyon that same night, where we eventually got engaged? Apparently it was a special date for me too, because I don't remember what I had for breakfast, so recalling the details of a date four years ago is rather significant. Anyway, that cheesy movie has a special place in my heart. Critics be darned.
I had the soundtrack playing this very night while Riley and I made our traditional shortbread cookie hearts, and one shortbread liver. The liver because one of my favorite teachers, who is an octogenarian and a millionaire to boot,  told us that he got his wife a liver when they were first married to make the point that, while the heart serves a vital function, the liver serves multiple vital functions and...I guess she served multiple vital functions? Haha and that is what I remember from Athletic Training 101. Dave and I were dating at that time and he was helping me with the cookie-making (tradition!) and a liver seemed like a good use of all those scraps of cookie dough, so there you go.
I love Valentines Day. Last year we had a toddler party and that was a blast. This year it will be quieter but I have been feeling the love for weeks. I have my face grabbed continually by chubby hands to bring my nose in for eskimo kisses (it's all the rage in this house). I saw Riley squeeze her eyes shut and clutch a love-note from Dave to her chest, so treasured because she has wanted one ever since she found one of mine in a locket. It is written on the same type of paper and in the same handwriting, so I don't think it matters that she can't actually read the,"You are beautiful," and "I love you" on it. I saw her tuck it in a jewelry box before she climbed into bed. Then Dave got home with flowers and chocolate for me. Life is good.
Oh yeah, and I got totally outclassed at the grocery store the other day - a couple insisted on paying for my groceries, saying that they remembered when their kids were babies and that they know what its like. They were very determined, even though I totally meant it when I said that the thought alone warmed my heart, or something to that effect, and they didn't need to get our bill. It was a really sweet experience, having strangers reach out and lift us and talk and connect when, come on, I don't usually even make eye contact with strangers in line. And yet I felt love from them, and felt inspired to do that with others. I can't buy everyone's groceries, but I can look for the good in strangers, I can make eye-contact, smile, have a conversation, empathize and make a connection.
That smacks of a resolution. Valentines Day Resolutions. I could get on board with that.

**Complementary chick-flick endorsement: For my fellow Jane Austen fans out there, if you are looking for a light-hearted romantic comedy for this weekend, I would recommend Austenland. I redboxed it for nap time and laughed out loud, by myself, waking Riley at one point. I mean, there is a gay Kernal Fitz William character, which makes some kind of sense and, well, I should hold back on the spoilers but I really enjoyed it. Make haste!

4 comments:

  1. Heidi, Sounds like you are finally experiencing "Minnesota Nice" in all its glory! And getting free groceries to boot.

    ReplyDelete